STP Diversity Committee
|Peggy Brady-Amoon (Chair)||Kelley Haynes-Mendez||Meera Rastogi||Susan Goldstein||Matthew Taylor||Ali Mattu||Kathleen Keefe-Cooperman||Sachi Horback|
Call for Diversity Committee Chair (Deadline May 15, 2013)
The Committee shall oversee and assess all Society activities related to diversity issues, including, but not limited to, diversity in membership, integration of diversity into the curriculum, hiring and retaining a diverse faculty, and attracting members of diverse groups to psychology as a major and a profession.
Purpose and Goals
We are committed to increasing the presence of people and perspectives from diverse backgrounds into our teaching and psychology as a profession. The committee defines cultural diversity to include race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, socioeconomic background, and physical ability.
Please consider sharing with us the resources that you have found helpful in your teaching and/or recruitment. We also welcome suggestions you might have for the committee. Please contact Peggy Brady-Amoon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The STP Diversity Committee invites participation towards our goal of compiling and disseminating information on best practices in diversity teaching and scholarship. New members are always welcome. Contact Peggy Brady-Amoon at Margaret.email@example.com
- The APA Presidential Taskforce on Diversity Education Resources was recently updated. The Diversity Committee welcomes additional recommendations (e.g., resources and references) from psychology and allied fields. Please send recommendations to Susan Goldstein (Susan_Goldstein@redlands.edu).
- Diversity-Teach Listserv
- Discussion group focusing on issues related to infusing diversity and international perspectives into the psychology curriculum in addition to diversity-specific courses.
- Open to all who are interested in incorporating diversity into their teaching at all levels (including high school, 2-year, 4-year college/university, and graduate school settings).
- To join, e-mail Linh Nguyen Littleford at firstname.lastname@example.org
- APA Presidential Taskforce on Diversity Education Resources
- The APA Presidential Taskforce on Diversity Education has developed annotated bibliographies of books, journal articles, films, websites, and other media on 20 cross-cutting issues and specific domains. The Division 2 Diversity Committee will continue the PTDE's work by making yearly updates to these resources.
- Recruiting and Retaining Diverse Faculty
- Recruiting and Retaining Diverse Students
- Exemplary Syllabi for Diversity Content
- Reviewed and approved by the Project Syllabus Team.
- Reviewed and approved by three members of the Diversity Committee
- Summaries of Diversity Related Articles
(Microsoft Excel file)
- Published in the Teaching of Psychology (TOP) from 1975-2011.
- All Division 2 members receive TOP.
- Diversity Resources for Traditional Psychology Classes
- Includes readings, in-class activities, and videos. Categorized by areas of psychology (e.g., abnormal, developmental, physiological, personality, research methods, social, statistics, etc.).
- Recipients of the 2009 Society for the Teaching of Psychology Honorary Membership for Infusing Diversity into Teaching